Saturday, January 11, 2014

Nobody said it was easy / No one ever said it would be this hard / Oh, take me back to the start.

After many years of degrading the dulcet tones of Coldplay as ‘toy,’ a constellation of factors (continued recommendation from someone I love and respect, [Hi LS!], my marriage turning to complete schiesse etc.) led me to reconsider. Being a scientist (See what I did there?) from summer '12 to summer '13, I gave Coldplay a serious listen. Needed lots of data points. And, lo and behold, I liked it. A lot. Wonderful music, intelligent lyrics, humor, pathos, ...it became a part of me. 

Now, imagine my utter disappointment when I learned the band was taking a 14 year* hiatus to pursue ‘raising children’ or some other horseshit. C’mon people!!

Let’s look at the big picture. To wit....

A) I have needs 

B) Apple will be just fine there, handsome
C) etc. 

Still, there I was, hands in pockets, kicking a pebble down the block, with needs mind you! I decided to explore the dark recesses of indie rock, and investigate the ‘wuss rock’ sub-genre for a decent substitute until the gang can release a new album. 

Here are the findings, a simple thumbs up/down. Sure, they all have at least one listenable tune, but as for as the entire catalogue, here is my expert opinion on how to maximize your Pandora/Spotify/Sirius time. 
You’re welcome.

Yes: Augustana, Death Cab for Cutie, The Fray

No: Imagine Dragons, Snow Patrol, Lifehouse, Train

Undecided: Five for Fighting, Arctic Monkeys, Of Monsters & Men


*figure approximate
No. the song from Hunger Games doesn’t count
Yes it’s catchy, nice hook
But it’s not an album



No comments:

Post a Comment